The main task of the university is to conduct research at the highest level and to provide excellent education. As a comprehensive university, the University of Graz has the responsibility to ensure diversity and quality of teaching. The continuous and systematic quality assurance and evaluation of research and teaching supports the development in all areas of the university.
The University's quality management is regularly audited by an accredited European quality assurance agency in accordance with the Act on Quality Assurance in Higher Education. The University of Graz successfully passed the Quality Audit in 2013 and 2021 and received the quality label of the Finnish quality agency "FINEEC". The certification of the quality management system is valid until August 2028.
The most important elements of the quality management system of the University of Graz are:
- continuous strategic planning processes with monitoring of procedures and feedback
- evidence-based performance comparisons based on bibliometric data
- a reporting system that provides key figures from the core areas and the cross-sectional areas
- periodic and ad hoc evaluations in teaching and research
- strategic personnel development
- annual staff appraisals for academic and general staff
- tracking initiatives on students and graduates
- bench learning initiatives